Fraud Reporting/Identity Theft

CLICK HERE if you are a victim of fraud

The Stoneham Police Department will accept your fraudulent activity or identity theft report if you reside in Stoneham or were the victim of fraudulent activity or identity theft committed in Stoneham.  Please click the above link and complete the form and then click submit.  An officer will contact you and will provide you with a Stoneham Police Department incident number which should be referenced when reporting to other agencies/businesses, etc. If  a copy of the incident report is required, please click this link Public Records/Request Police Report or a request can be made in person at the police station.  Public records requests can take up to 10 business day to process. 

Due to the nature of some fraudulent activity not all reports can be investigated. However, by reporting to law enforcement you make it possible for investigators to spot trends and patterns. Further, by filing a report your case will be assigned an incident report number which will help as you report fraudulent activity and identity theft to creditors, credit agencies, financial institutions, government agencies, businesses, etc.

The Federal Trade Commission is the main agency that collects fraud and identity theft reports at the federal level.

Report fraud online at, or by phone at 1-877-382-4357. If you sent cash by U.S. Mail (USPS not UPS), contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service or call 1-877-876-2455.

Report identity theft at or by phone at 1-877-438-4338.

If you are the victim of an ‘internet crime’, file a report at the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center IC3 at or (202) 324-3000.

Medicare and Social Security Fraud report online at

Tax Id Fraud report to and the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

If your passport was lost or stolen, you can report and replace at

International Scams can be reported at

Report a consumer complaint at or by calling 1-877-FTC-HELP

If you have a consumer complaint report you can also contact the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office at or by calling 617-727-8400.

If you are the victim of unemployment fraud, report to Department of Unemployment Assistance at or call 1-877-626-6800.

If you are over 60 and suspect that a family member is involved in trying to scam you or otherwise control your finances, call the Protective Services Team of Mystic Valley Elder Services at or call 781-324-7705. Specially trained caseworkers will investigate your situation and work with you for a hopeful resolution.

There are both Federal and Massachusetts laws that allows consumers to place or remove a security freeze on their consumer credit report for free. A credit freeze restricts access to your credit file making it harder for identity thieves to open up new accounts in your name.

Call each of the credit reporting agencies at these phone numbers or visit their websites to freeze your credit.

Equifax: 800-349-9960 or

Experian: 888 397 3742 or

TransUnion: 888-909-8872 or

Call any one of the credit reporting agencies to place a fraud alert with all three at once:

• Equifax: 800-525-6285

• Experian: 888-397-3742

• TransUnion: 800-680-7289

Additional Information