Apply for a Passport


You must apply in person if:

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport
  • You are under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago
  • Your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change

Please note: If you meet renewal requirements, you will complete the DS-82 Renewal by mail and send it in yourself. Visit Travel.State. Gov for an application.

General Information

  1. Complete application (Form DS-11) using black ink only.
  2. Proof of Citizenship: 
    1. Birth Certificate (long form) with: 
      1. Certification (Seal)
      2. Date of Birth
      3. File or Registration Date
      4. Name of Applicant
      5. Place of Birth
      6. Recorded Within One Year of Birth
    2. Certificate of Naturalization
    3. Expired U.S. passport

      Note: Under 16 years of age requires a Birth Certificate even with an expired passport
  3. Proof of Identity: Preferably a valid drivers license.
  4. Two Passport Photos: Identical, 2 inches by 2 inches full face, white background
  5. Fees - check or money order accepted:
    1. Each Adult 16 years and over:
      1. $130 check or money order made payable to "US Dept of State"  (add 60.00 if expediting)
      2. $35 cash, credit or check made payable to the Town of Stoneham
    2. Each Minor child under 16 years:
      1. $100: Check or money order made payable to "US Depart of State" (add $60.00 if expediting)
      2. $35: Cash, credit or check made payable to "Town of Stoneham" 
  6. 6. Children under 16 Years of age:
    1. All minor children must appear in person with both parents or legal guardian who must present ID and co-sign application (Effective February 1, 2004).
    2. If bothparents are not present, sole parent must provide notarized written consent from absent parent along with a copy of the front and back of parent's ID or in cases where the other parent is not available, the parent present must present: 
      1. Certified death certificate
      2. Evidence of sole custody
      3. Written explanation of special circumstances as to why absent person's consent cannot be obtained


  • In addition to submitting proof of your U.S. citizenship, it is also necessary to show current and acceptable documentation of identification (ID).
  • A U.S. Birth Certificate is proof of a U.S. Citizenship and cannot be accepted as proof of identity since it contains non descriptive information. You cannot be identified from your Birth Certificate.
  • Passport Agents are required to obtain acceptable identification before issuing a U.S. passport. The ID is for the customer protection to ensure that passports are not issued to imposters (persons assuming another identity).

Note: Passports Agents may request as many items off the list below as necessary to satisfy the identity requirement. Submission of one item off the list does not guarantee acceptability of ID.

Primary Identification (Good Photo Likeness Required)

  • Valid U.S. Drivers license, Pilots license, State or Federal work ID card
  • Military ID (Dependent ID)
  • Passport (Foreign or U.S.)/Naturalization Certificate (if photo likeness is good)
  • INS Alien Registration Card (Green Card)/Employment authorization
  • State Issued non-driver's ID Card (elderly or disabled applicants only)

Secondary Identification 

Submit at least five from the following:

  • State ID cards (three additional items must be submitted to support ID cards)
  • Current Student Identification card (school or college)
  • Financial documents like:
    • Credit Cards
    • Insurance Cards/Papers
    • Leasing Documents
    • Medical Cards
    • Mortgage Documents
    • Pay Stub
    • Utility Bills
    • Welfare/Benefit Cards
  • Marriage Certificate/Divorce Decree, Income Tax Records, W-2, Pay Stubs.
  • Records such as:
    • Birth Certificate of Children (if Your Name Is Listed)
    • Diploma-Degree
    • Military Records (DD-214, Honorable Discharge)
    • School Records
    • Technical School Certificate
    • Vehicle Registration/Title
    • Year Book with Photo

You may also bring in a witness to ID you. The witness must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien, 18 years or older, have acceptable primary ID. Blood relatives are preferable. Five Secondary items should also be submitted. You may also be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire to provide verifiable information about yourself.

Additional Information

For more information or to download applications visit Travel.State.Gov