Street Sweeping - 2018
Street sweeping is an essential activity that occurs every spring in Town. What the Department of Public Works puts down for snow and ice control in the winter, the Department of Public Works has to pick up in the spring.
Not only does it keep the streets looking cleaner but reduces the risk of flooding by removing material before it enters the drainage system. Sweeping operations are ideally required prior to performing the Town's water flushing program and yearly maintenance contracts including but not limited to Pavement Markings and Catch Basin Cleaning.
How Residents Can Help
Residents are encouraged to aid the Department by:
- Sweeping sand from sidewalks and grass strips into the street 1 foot from edge of road.
- Please don't sweep the sand into a pile since that makes it more difficult for the sweeper to pick up the material. Instead, sweep it into a row along the curb.
- Sweepers cannot pick up brush, branches or yard waste. Please bring these items to the Stevens Street Recycling Center. Recycling stickers are available at the Public Works Office. No charge for the first sticker. License and registration required.
Parking vehicles in driveways that will interfere with sweeping. Sweeping is scheduled to begin the week of April 9, 2018 weather permitting. Each quadrant takes approximately 2 weeks to sweep. Chapter 90 roads are done multiple times as needed. The following is the street sweeping schedule:
- Major Chapter 90 Roads - Ongoing
- Northeast Quadrant - April 9 through April 20
- Southeast Quadrant - April 23 through May 4
- Southwest Quadrant - May 7 through May 18
- Northwest Quadrant - May 21 through June 1
Factors such as rain and emergencies extend the completion date of each quadrant. If you have any questions regarding the sweeping program please contact the Department of Public Works.