2013 Heritage Award

-A A +A

Pictured left to right are: Joan Quigley, Historical Commission Treasurer, Steve Rotondi, Historical Commission Member, Bee Russo and Larry Russo, Principals of Beacon Street LLC and Marcia Wengen, Historical Commission Co-Chair.

The Historical Commission’s annual Heritage Award for “exceptional contributions to the preservation and awareness of Stoneham’s historical legacy” was presented to Larry and Bee Russo, principals of Beacon Street LLC. These dedicated preservationists saw the wisdom of repurposing the 1938 East Elementary School into three condominiums that reflect the schoolhouse character of high ceilings, hardwood floors, wide doors and period correct classroom windows. The William B. Colleary designed front and side facades were preserved and restored to their original 1938 details.

This adaptive reuse is a perfect example that ‘preservation works’. The outcome is a win for the Town, for the character of the neighborhood and for our dedicated preservationists Larry and Bee Russo. They surely did shine the spotlight on one of Stoneham’s distinct historic places.

Original postcard of the 1938 East School